Building on a legacy of nearly 325 years, First Parish Church is an active part of the Town of Weston and of Boston’s Metro-West area. Our ongoing commitment to community service is a core part of our congregation’s culture and identity.
First Parish Outreach Committee
Helping Our Neighbors:
Service, Outreach & Generosity
Community Service is an important element of our ministry through both funding and membership involvement. We believe that church is more than just attendance on Sundays. It is living our beliefs and our First Parish aspiration: “You will be cared for, and you will be asked to care for others.”
We make it easy for members to participate in programs throughout the region by partnering with many organizations impacting both adults and families. Our Outreach Committee coordinates many opportunities for service and making a difference during the year.
In our busy lives, day-to-day activities can become all-consuming if we let them. Our range of community service relationships enables each of us to find activities that fit into our schedules and enable us to live into our aspirations.
Although we have MANY outreach partners, there are a handful of programs with which we have a particularly active collaboration.
Bristol Lodge Suppers – Fourth Wednesday of the Month
First Parish has a longstanding tradition of supporting the Bristol Lodge soup kitchen in Waltham. We prepare one dinner on the Fourth Wednesday of every month. Visit our Bristol Lodge page to learn more about First Parish’s ongoing commitment and how you can volunteer or support this important program!
Supporting Refugees – Resettle Together
A group of First Parishioners and local residents has recently partnered with the International Institute of New England (IINE) to support the resettlement of a refugee family (country of origin TBD). Beginning this fall, our Weston Resettle Together team will work with IINE to help a family settle and adjust to a new life in the United States. Click here to learn more about how we are Supporting Afghan & Refugee Resettlement in our region.
For information on more of our outreach programs and partners, click on the links below.
DEVELOPMENTal NEEDS of Young People and Families
- Unitarian Universalist Urban Ministry (UUUM) – Roxbury Youth Programs, Renewal House/Believe in Success, Artist Spotlight Series: Based in the Roxbury neighborhood of Boston, UUUM works across race and place to dismantle racism and white supremacy culture and to advance racial, social, and economic justice. https://www.uuum.org
- METCO Scholarship Fund: Providing financial aid to inner-city students attending Weston schools under the METCO program. https://westonmetco.org
- OUT MetroWest https://outmetrowest.org
- Waltham Boys & Girls Club https://walthambgc.org
- The Knitting Connection https://www.theknittingconnection.org
Weston CARES Fund (WCF)
Help for Those in Need Due to the COVID 19 Pandemic.
The Weston CARES Fund provided grants to local non-profit organizations and individuals, with priority given to programs assisting local residents confronting food and housing emergencies.
Inspired by the passage of the Federal CARES Act, local residents and members of First Parish Church in Weston created this fund in April 2020 as a way to make a difference locally, thoughtfully, and immediately. Assistance is available to residents and organizations located in the towns of Weston, Lincoln, Wayland, Natick, Newton, Wellesley, and Waltham.
Domestic VIOLENCE Survivors
- Second Step: Offering supportive services for families transitioning away from abuse. https://thesecondstep.org
- Unitarian Universalist Urban Ministry – Renewal House Shelter & Believe in Success Program: Provides safe shelter and trauma-informed workforce development programming, with specialized advocacy for LGBTQ+ survivors. https://www.uuum.org/dv-services
HOMELESSNESS, AFFORDABLE HOUSING, and Community Development
- Bristol Lodge: Providing shelter and food for people experiencing homelessness in our neighboring town of Waltham. https://www.mhsainc.org
- Waltham Alliance for Teaching, Community Organizing, and Housing (WATCH, CDC) WATCH CDC works towards a more just community in the Waltham area by promoting affordable housing, providing adult education and leadership development, and empowering underrepresented residents through civic engagement. https://watchcdc.org
- Community Day Center: Offering a welcoming and nurturing homeless shelter during the weekday afternoon hours open in all weather. https://www.communitydaycenter.org
- Pathways to Possible (formerly NWW – Newton-Weston Wellesley Committee for Community Living): Offering a full spectrum of housing options, supportive services, educational resources, and recreational services to over 300 persons of all ages with intellectual and developmental disabilities. https://nwwcommittee.org
- Cooperative Metropolitan Ministries (CMM) https://coopmet.org
- Partakers: Providing a counseling ministry in mentoring prison inmates taking college courses to better their lives. http://partakers.org
Human Rights & Immigration
- International Institute of New England (IINE) https://iine.org
- Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSC): Advancing human rights and social justice around the world. https://www.uusc.org
- Unitarian Universalist Urban Ministry: Transforming underprivileged individuals through education, service and advocacy. http://www.uuum.org