First Parish has a longstanding tradition of service in the larger community; for nearly four decades our congregation has supported the Middlesex Human Services Agency’s nightly meals at their Bristol Lodge soup kitchen in Waltham.
Bristol Lodge Supper
Fourth Wednesday of the month
Final meal preparations are made from 1:30 – 3:30 PM in the First Parish Kitchen.
Recipes are uploaded to this public Google Drive folder;
bookmark the link and you will find updated information each month.
Check out the First Parish Recipe Box – our archive of past recipes!
About Bristol Lodge
First Parish is one of several local churches, Rotary Clubs, and restaurants that pledge to provide a meal once a month in the basement of the United Methodist Church at the corner of Moody and Cherry Streets. The soup kitchen’s meals are open to everyone and typically 40 to 60 guests enjoy the meals each evening.
Before the Covid-19 pandemic, parishioners cooked the food, brought it to the soup kitchen, and served it cafeteria style, and the guests ate at the soup kitchen. Since the pandemic, meals at the soup kitchen have been served “grab-n-go” or “take-out “ style, so First Parish has provided pre-packaged food which guests take elsewhere to eat.
Anyone can help with the cooking, and when we are able to do so, also assist in serving the meals, seeing firsthand the appreciation of the guests. This experience can be especially meaningful for children. ALL are welcome, whether you are a longtime member or just a kind-spirited neighbor – please join us!
How Can I Get Involved?
- First Parish provides meals on the fourth Wednesday of each month.
- Each month, First Parish volunteers select a menu and recipes, which our members volunteer to make or buy.
- The menu and recipes are shared in our e-newsletter, the Parish Post (subscribe here).
- New! Recipes will also be uploaded to a public Google Drive folder. (If you bookmark the page, you can just open the link each month to find the updated information.)
- Looking for a recipe from a recent Bristol Lodge menu? Check out the First Parish Recipe Box (another Google Drive folder) for an archive of past recipes.
- Food preparation (heating up food, carving, salad making) is from 1:30 to 3:30 pm in the First Parish kitchen. If you volunteer to bring food, you can drop it off in the kitchen by 1:30 pm on Wednesday (or the day before).
- Note: once in-person eating returns, the timing may change and members of First Parish will also be needed to serve the meals.
- Contact the First Parish office (Admin@FirstParishWeston.org or 781-893-7798) if you would like to sign up to make or buy a part of the meal or volunteer to help with preparations in the church kitchen on Wednesday afternoon. Long-time Bristol Lodge coordinator Mary Menino is stepping back temporarily; please contact the church office instead!
- There are MANY ways to support First Parish’s Bristol Lodge outreach! – …including cooking, buying food (chips, fruit, or other add-in items), helping with same-day preparations, or donating money directly to First Parish to fund our efforts.
other Helpful Information
- Upcoming Dates – Spring 2023:
- February 22nd
- March 22nd
- April 26th
- May 24th
- Supper Location: Corner of Moody and Cherry Streets in Waltham (put 545 Moody Street in your GPS).
- (Note that Middlesex Human Services also runs several overnight and residential shelters under the “Bristol Lodge” banner.)
- Community Service Credit Hours are available to high school students who cook, help with preparations or serve.